HarperGirl Reads: On the Island

It's my first book review (other than fitness book)! YAY! Okay, so I read this book in less than 24 hours between last night and today. I couldn't put it down.


You can read the reviews here on Goodreads. I bought it for a few bucks on my Kindle.

Synopsis taken from Goodreads:

When thirty-year-old English teacher Anna Emerson is offered a job tutoring T.J. Callahan at his family's summer rental in the Maldives, she accepts without hesitation; a working vacation on a tropical island trumps the library any day. T.J. Callahan has no desire to leave town, not that anyone asked him. He's almost seventeen and if having cancer wasn't bad enough, now he has to spend his first summer in remission with his family - and a stack of overdue assignments - instead of his friends. Anna and T.J. are en route to join T.J.'s family in the Maldives when the pilot of their seaplane suffers a fatal heart attack and crash-lands in the Indian Ocean. Adrift in shark-infested waters, their life jackets keep them afloat until they make it to the shore of an uninhabited island. Now Anna and T.J. just want to survive and they must work together to obtain water, food, fire, and shelter. Their basic needs might be met but as the days turn to weeks, and then months, the castaways encounter plenty of other obstacles, including violent tropical storms, the many dangers lurking in the sea, and the possibility that T.J.'s cancer could return. As T.J. celebrates yet another birthday on the island, Anna begins to wonder if the biggest challenge of all might be living with a boy who is gradually becoming a man.

I really, really liked this book. It was a short read for me, but I was completely lost in this book last night. It kept me from getting into the fridge for a late-night snack, that's for sure! It's a great summer read for the beach. It was short, sweet, and really action-packed too. Just when things die down, BOOM!! Something else happens and you're getting a cramp in your hand from holding up your Kindle too long. I read until my eyes drooped last night. It's told from T.J. and Ana's prospective, which I liked so you can really see what's going on in their heads and how the situation effects both of them. Seeing that I'm close to Ana's age, and a teacher, this book really appealed to me. Although, I normally go for the YA Paranormal books.

What is next on my list to read?

This is a book I've been waiting on for a while now. It's the follow-up to Archers of Avalon. It comes out Tuesday, so stay tuned. I'm sure I'll have a post up by Thursday on how I liked it! The last book left such a cliffhanger that I am itching to get my hands on this book!

HarperGirl

0 comments:

Post a Comment