Finishing the Year Healthy & Strong

*First let me apologize for having to truncate my posts (causing readers to have to click "read more" to read the post in its entirety) because my blog content has been stolen by some thief with a domain registered in India.  Thank you Leanne for letting me know- I had no idea.  Back in August 2012, several well-known bloggers started truncating their posts because "scraper sites" had been stealing their blog content.  I never worried about it and, as a reader, I find truncated posts kinda annoying, so I never did that.  But I have to now.  My entire blog- every word and photo has been scraped and is now appearing as original content on another blog.  So annoying! And the worst part is, I haven't yet figured out what I can do about it.  So, I just wanted to explain why I'm now truncating my posts- apparently this makes it much harder for the thieves.  I hope you'll keep reading!

* * * * * 

I think I need to get your attention and my own regarding the reality that the holidays are just around the corner!  I get giddy with excitement this time of year.  Halloween is in a couple days, which really just marks the beginning of the real holiday season for me.  I love everything that is related to this time of year, including the coziness of colder weather, wearing red and feeling festive, getting together more with family for longer, relaxed gatherings, celebrating family traditions, shopping for gifts for family and friends, decorating the house, and yes, of course, all the yummy FOOD and DRINKS!

But seriously, do we have to just check out in the health department this time of year?  I've already gained a few pounds in last couple of months as I've slacked off my workouts and discovered this ridculously delicious gelato that I've been induldging in too often.  It happens.  But, we need to be reasonalbe and balanced.  I know I'm less happy and more uncomfortable when I'm heavier.  Just a few extra pounds on my very short frame (5'1) makes my jeans too tight.  And even a couple extra pounds are hard to lose.

I want to look and feel GREAT this holiday season!  

via Nike


So, I am committing to get back to my workouts and eating healthy for the last two months of the year.  Of course I will induldge in my favorite treats in the next couple of months.  I will make homemade toffee and peanut butter cups and other comfort foods.  I will drink wine and champagne.  But, I will use portion control and stay active.  

Right now, I'm doing 50 minute workouts at my gym that consist of a 10 minute warm-up on the treadmill (I like a 10 incline and a speed of about 3.5), 30 minute workout with weights, active rests, and ab exercises, then 10 minutes on the stairclimber to finish off.  I don't know about you, but when I'm working out, I'm MUCH more likely to consider my food choices, opting for healthier meals because I don't want to workout and then "blow it" by eating junk.  I didn't just work my *ss off to throw it away!

I know it's cold.  I know it's the holidays.  I know we're busy.  But can we finish this year healthy and strong?  Can we do it together?  

Let's ENJOY the holidays this year and all that that means, but let's also be mindful to make healthy choices and NOT gain extra weight that we will have to fight hard to lose come January!  It's WAY EASIER to prevent the weight gain than to try to lose it later, right?!

If you're on board with me, let me know in the comments! :) I'll be posting periodically about how I'm doing and y'all keep my accountable.  I weighed myself last night at 110 pounds, and a more reasonable weight for me is 103-106.

To help keep me on track, I'm cooking meals in advance and portioning them out for no-brainer, quick and easy meals.  My top two meals that I like to eat and are healthy, packed with protein and low in calories are: 1) Tex Mex, and 2) Grilled Chicken with Brown Rice and Veggies.  I'm okay eating the same thing repeatedly with small treats on the weekends because I've seen the results that come with eating this way.  Also, have you ever realized how much time we spend thinking about what we're going to eat? Having meals pre-planned and prepared eliminates that and makes more time for other things.  People ask if my husband and child eat this way too and the answer is sort of.  My husband does, but my child is so picky, he's still mostly eating grilled cheese or PB&J at dinner.  He used to like the Tex Mex meal a lot, but recently decided he hates it and won't even take a bite.


I'm all for food I can easily assemble.  I make a big batch of brown rice that I boil in low-sodium chicken broth and/or salt-free Tony Chachere's seasoning for added flavor, steam a large amount of my favorite veggies (for this dish carrots, broccoli, mushrooms), and grill boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  I put about a cup of rice, and a half cup of chicken and veggies in small tupperware containers and add a splash of low sodium soy sauce.  Instant meals. 

The Tex Mex cassorole below is the second fave.  You can put it in a whole wheat tortilla too for something different but I usually eat it straight out of the container.  Get the recipe HERE


For snacks, I make protein shakes with fruit and spinach and I love Greek yogurt.  Omelets with all-whites and veggies are also another favorite.  I eat oatmeal for breakfast.  If I want something sweet at night, I'll make a hot cocoa.  The key is finding some healthy meals and snacks you can eat over and over to make it a no-brainer.  Even if you can't get those workouts in, if you make healthy food choices and manage your portions, you will be in great shape. 

So, are y'all on board?  Will you maintain your weight or even get in better shape during this holiday season?  Let's finish 2013 healthy and strong!

* * * * * 

0 comments:

Post a Comment