CROSSFIT

Hello my lovely fitfam!

I am officially on university holidays - woohoo! The next two and half weeks will be purely dedicated to fitness, health and this blog. I wanted to tell you a little bit about CrossFit - my latest discovery! I know I have already said a little bit about it, but here's a little more for those of you who don't know too much about it.

A Crossfit competitor - look at her amazing muscles! 


My experience with Crossfit

I started off absolutely terrified - who was I to think that I would have the strength (both mentally and physically) to tackle such a thing as Crossfit. I walked into the Bathurst Box, not knowing what to expect.  According to www.crossfit.com -

 "CrossFit is many things. Primarily, it’s a fitness regimen developed by Coach Greg Glassman over several decades. He was the first person in history to define fitness in a meaningful, measurable way (increased work capacity across broad time and modal domains). CrossFit itself is defined as that which optimizes fitness (constantly varied functional movements performed at relatively high intensity). CrossFit is also the community that spontaneously arises when people do these workouts together. In fact, the communal aspect of CrossFit is a key component of why it’s so effective." 

In saying this, I absolutely have fallen in love with Crossfit. It is the first time in my life, when I am relying purely on my own body strength. I am challenging myself with body movements I've never had to properly master before - pull ups, muscle ups, push ups - you name it, we do it! The atmosphere at Crossfit is something I've never experienced before. Instead of racing everyone in the room - you go at your own pace. The only person you are racing is yourself, to see if you can go faster and lift heavier than your previous time.  No matter if you come first or last, everyone cheers you on. You are part of a team, and oh what a team it is. I have now completed the first 5 fundamentals - which are a must in order to be able to understand the concepts and correct techniques for Crossfit. I will undertake my first real 'WOD" (workout of the day) tomorrow morning, and boy am I excited! I urge you all to check out the crossfit website - www.crossfit.com and look at some of the live footage from the Crossfit games last year. The regionals are in Wollongong this year from May 24th-26th. I will be there as a spectator, to watch these incredibly strong men and women compete for a spot in the Californian Crossfit Games 2013! 

Let me know what you think in comments below lovely people! Try and find a Crossfit Box near you - most offer a first time free trial. :)

E xox. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment