Great Grandma's Hot Chicken Salad

Today's recipe comes all the way from my beloved, late Great Grandma, and it was passed down to me by my Grandma.  My Grandma is a great cook and she's always sending me recipes and healthy eating articles she's clipped from magazines, since she's diabetic.  I love that this Hot Chicken Salad recipe is in her own sweet handwriting.  You can tell I've used it a bunch since the notecard is worn and dirty- a great sign of a good dish!



Over the years, I've tweaked the recipe some and added a few new ingredients.  I never really measure anymore, opting to just toss everything in- about a cup of each vegetable.  

Ingredients
  • 1 Rotisserie Chicken - I like to use the white meat only 
  • Olive oil - couple tablespoons
  • Onion - diced
  • Carrots- diced
  • Celery- diced 
  • Peas- frozen
  • Garlic- couple cloves minced
  • Light mayonnaise - 1/2 cup
  • Cream of mushroom soup- one can
  • Fat free milk- a glug 
  • Sliced olives - small jar
  • Prepared Pesto - couple tablespoons 
  • Lemon juice - couple squeezes
  • 2% shredded cheese - a big handful 
  • Large shell macaroni (you can use whole wheat) - cup cups dry 
  • Salt and pepper to taste- I usually just add a very small amount. 
Directions
  • Boil the pasta until al dente.
  • In a second large pot, cook the onion, celery, and carrots in olive oil until softened.  Add garlic.
  • Shred the chicken and add to the pan.
  • Add mayo, cream of mushroom soup, milk, olives, lemon juice, and pesto.
  • Add the peas.
  • Add the cooked shells.
  • Stir to combine.
  • Pour the mixture into a baking dish and top with shredded cheese. 

  • Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. 

  • This is one of the meals I portion out into about 10 small plastic containers and take to work with me.   I reheat it for about a minute.


* * * * *


0 comments:

Post a Comment